Tuesday 11 October 2011

Work has begun

So the reason for me being here has begun. I started work on Monday, and I think it is going to be an interesting five weeks. I think there will be a lot of sitting around, not really knowing what to do with myself and probably never getting my head around the ins and outs of the place, but in amongst all that I hope I will get to see and do some fun things.

I am part of the "Metro" desk - a team of 10 reporters covering general news in Bangalore. That's 10 reporters covering almost 9million people. And I thought my office was small.

Yesterday I went out with another of the reporters to something he was covering. To be honest I have no idea quite what it was. I think it was a citizen's group coming up with ideas on how to provide Bangalore with enough water as the population continues to grow. It was quite interesting, but I was glad I wasn't the one having to write a story from it. The best part about this was getting to and from the venue (anyone who loves me probably does not want to read this next part). Everyone here gets around on motorbikes - they seem to be an easy way to dart between the traffic and maybe get you to your destination 5 minutes earlier than those in cars. Also, the large majority of people don't wear helmets. I often just watch the roads amazed with how many people can fit on a motorbike, or how young a baby is in their mother's arms as she rides side-saddle on the back of her husband's bike. So there I was, on the back of one of the reporters motorbikes, helmetless, travelling through the streets of Bangalore. A large part of me had my mother's voice racing around my head, and I was holding on for dear life, but the other part of me found it exhilarating. I was a part of Bangalore for those 5 minutes. Not a tourist, but one of them, getting around the same way everyone does. Doing my job.

Also, it is worth noting I caught an auto home from work - the first time I have dared brave an auto after my last experience. It was relatively drama-free, I got home without any detours to silk shops and without taking the extra long route, although I think I did get charged far too much - 50 rupees (about $NZ1.50 - I can hardly complain, it's still nothing for me).

Can't believe I have already been here for a week. At times it has felt like the longest week of my life, particularly as I navigate the streets of Bangalore in the sweltering heat, getting more and more frustrated that street signs are few and far between. But at other times it has flown by, in the crazy swirl of colours, smells and sounds that make up this booming city.




No comments:

Post a Comment