Saturday 1 October 2011

Two days to go

I never thought this adventure would begin in hospital.

And yet there I was, the week leading up to my first real overseas trip, sitting in hospital holding David's hand as he was wheeled off to surgery.

Rewind a few days to the dance floor of BoogyWonderland and you will hear this madness begin with David clutching at his side, saying to me: "I think I have another hole in my lung".
Since February, David has had about five holes in his lung and was on the waiting list to have an operation to fix it. Usually when he does get a hole it fixes itself in about an hour. This time though, we woke the next morning to more side clutching.
Without bogging you down with details, David has spent the past week in hospital and had the operation on Tuesday. For the record; he's doing ok, and was discharged today.

So, instead of spending the past week organising myself for India, I spent it frantically running between work and hospital. In the few moments I did have to myself I spent them staring at my bag hoping it would pack itself (I've never been very good at packing, even at the best of times). In the end, my packing consisted of me chucking anything I thought might be slightly useful into my bag to bring to Hamilton for Mum to then organise for me. At 23, I can comfortably say I still need my mum.

So here I am, in Hamilton, two days out from my big adventure, with a massive pile of clothes scattered on the floor and an ever-expanding list of things to do.

I don't know what to expect, I am a bundle of nerves, but most importantly I cannot wait.





1 comment:

  1. Hey, don't stress - I packed the day I left. Best things I brought: Liquid eyeliner (sweat-resistant) and ultra-comfortable sneakers you can walk for hours in. Wish I had brought: insect repellent.
    Good luck! xx Get well David

    ReplyDelete