Saturday 12 November 2011

Bargaining, Hana style

There are two scenarios when I am shopping, they go something like this -

"Hi, how much for this?" I say, pointing to a shawl.
"250 Rupees ma'am," the stall owner replies.
"Oh ok, and what about this one?"
"250 also ma'am."
"Ok, I think I like this one," I say pointing to the first one, "yea, I'll get this one, 200?" I say, lowering the price because I know this is the game we have to play.
He looks at me, "225, ma'am."
I toss up whether it's worth bargaining over the 25 rupees, it's not, "Ok," I say getting out my wallet.
I hand him 250, "keep the change," I say walking off.

or

"Hey, how much for this?"
"For you ma'am, I will give you two for 400 rupees." I had seen the same wall hangings in another shop and had been told one would cost me 350.
"Oh ok, I will get two. And how much for this?" I say, pointing to a key chain.
"100 ma'am, and where are you from?"
"New Zealand," I reply, knowing we are about to have the same conversation I have had here about 100 times already.
"Ah, so you know cricket?" he says, rather excitedly and pretending to hit a ball with a bat.
"Hmmm, sort of."
"Daniel Vettori? Stephen Fleming?"
His friend, who I hadn't noticed until now, also pipes up, "Chris Cairns?"
"You know more than I know," I joke with them.
They start to wave around their pretend bats. I do my fake, slightly awkward laugh, getting out my wallet.
The shop keeper gets out a (real) calculator, "so for these", he says pointing to the two wall hangings, "400", he types into his calculator. And for these, he points to the two key chains I have decided to also buy, "200". He also types this into his calculator.
"Ok, thank you," I say, thinking I probably should be bargaining but I know I am already getting it for much cheaper than I would have at the other shop.
"But," he pipes up, "for you ma'am, I will give you discount." He types something into his calculator, and up pops 500. "Ok ma'am, 500 rupees?"
"Sure, that sounds great," I say to him, not really sure how I've managed to lower the price without actually bargaining.
"Are you happy with that?" he questions me.
"Yes that is fine with me."
"Good, a happy customer makes me a happy shop owner."





No comments:

Post a Comment